- Open all doors and Windows
- Turn off the gas supply at the gas meter
- Do not smoke or use naked flames
- Do not turn electric switches on or off
- Call the 24hr Gas Emergency line on 0800 111 999.
Carbon monoxide alarm activating?
- Turn off any gas appliances in use
- Open all doors and windows and get plenty of fresh air
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter
- Call the 24hr Gas Emergency Line on 0800 111 999.
Recognising the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide
You can't see it, taste it, or smell it, so it is important to be aware of the danger signs. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to “flu” symptoms, and can include feeling tired, drowsy or sick, and you may also notice you only have these when you are at home. Some danger signs around the house could include the following:
- Soot or stains on or around your gas appliance
- A lot of condensation in the room where the appliance is installed
- Lazy (struggling to stay alight, or much weaker than normal) yellow or orange flames; and
- Your pilot light often going out or failing to light easily.
If you notice any of these, turn off your gas supply straight away, open all doors and window, and get plenty of fresh air. If there is an immediate danger, call the gas emergency line on 0800 111 999.
If you have any worries about an appliance, always contact us and let us know. We will take action quickly and arrange for your appliances to be inspected.