Fire prevention tips
Click for information about free 'Safe and Well Visits' available from your local fire service:
• in Wiltshire: https://www.dwfire.org.uk/safety/safe-and-well-visits/
• in Oxfordshire: http://www.365alive.co.uk/cms/content/safe-and-well
• in Gloucestershire: http://www.glosfire.gov.uk/your_safety.html
Fire prevention in the home
Throughout the house
- DO check your all smoke detectors.
- DO plan your escape routes in case fire does strike.
- DO allow GreenSquare to check your gas boilers
- DO keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- DON'T overload electrical sockets or extension cords.
- DON'T put ashtrays on chair or sofa arms.
- DON'T run electrical cords under rugs, or through doors.
- DON'T leave unattended cigarettes burning in ashtrays.
- DON'T leave mobile phones, tablets or laptops when charging
- DON’T leave candles burning unattended
- DO keep candles away from things that will burn and children
- DO unplug Christmas tree lights at night or on leaving the house
- DON'T smoke in bed.
- DON'T place heaters within three feet of flammable materials.
- DON'T use heaters to dry clothes.
- DON'T use extension cords with portable heaters.
- DON'T leave heaters unattended or go to sleep while they are on.
- DO unplug heaters after you turn them off.
- DO use oven timers.
- DO keep things which will burn off of the stove.
- DO store flammable chemicals like furniture polish in cupboards
- DO keep appliance cords out of reach of children.
- DO regularly check for worn cords or damaged plugs.
- DO check the kitchen before going to bed. Is the stove off and kettle unplugged?
- DO - If a fire occurs
- Turn off the stove.
- Smother the fire with a saucepan lid or damp tea towel, shut the oven door.
- Evacuate your property and call the fire brigade on 999.
- DON'T overload electrical sockets.
- DON'T leave deep fat fryers or wok’s unattended.
- DON'T leave food unattended on the stove.
- DON'T cook wearing sleeves that can dangle near the burners.
- DON'T let grease build up on your stove or oven.
- DON'T let crumbs build up in your toaster.
- DON'T let curtains hang near your stove.
- DON'T - if a fire occurs
- risk moving the pot or pan.
- put water on an oil fire.
- fight fires which spread from your stove or oven
Click here for further tips about how to keep safe at home