Behind with your rent

We know that, from time to time, you may have money problems. Your rent, or mortgage (where applicable), and service charges (where applicable) are priority payments that must be made. If you are struggling with money problems and you don’t pay, you will be in arrears. The sooner you contact us, the easier it is to sort things out - but it is never too late, we are here to help.

Our phone number is 0300 111 7000

What will happen if I don't pay my rent?

Your home is at risk if you do not pay your rent, or your mortgage, and your service charges (where applicable).

We will contact you and offer you guidance on how to get out of debt. Your rent, or your mortgage, and where applicable service charges, are priority payments. We can make an agreement with you to pay off your arrears in smaller amounts if you cannot pay it all off straight away.

If we cannot contact you or if you do not make the payments we agree with you, we will take further action. This may mean taking you to court, which could result in court costs and you may lose your home.

Read our rent arrears policy here.

Who should I contact to help me?

Please contact the Customer Service team, the contact number is at the top of the page.

You may also want to take independent advice.

Help to pay the rent

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income, whether you are working or not, you may be able to get some help from housing benefit. You can claim housing benefit if you are out of work, or if your family’s income is low. You will need to contact your local council who will ask you to complete a housing benefit claim form. If you are eligible, housing benefit can be paid directly to GreenSquareAccord by your local council on your behalf.

if you are claiming housing benefit, you may also be entitled to council tax benefit. Please contact your local council for further information.

It is your responsibility to ensure the local authority is kept up to date with any changes in circumstances or income.

Universal Credit

If you are receiving, or are eligible to claim, Universal Credit you may be able to get some help towards your housing costs (rent and service charges). To find out if you are eligible, please go to

Further information about Universal Credit can be found here.

It is your responsibility to ensure the Department for Work and Pensions is kept up to date with any changes in circumstances or income.

What if I rent a garage?

If you rent a garage and fall behind with the rent on it, or the rent on your home, we will give you one week's notice that we are going to take the garage back. We do not have to go to court to do this. We can also change the locks on the garage and charge you for the cost of doing this. By taking back the garage, we will stop your arrears from increasing.

We use cookies to improve our website. To find out what cookies we use and what they do, please read our privacy policy.