Rent and service charges

About your rent

Your rent is the amount charged for living in your property.

In addition, you may also be charged for additional services, for example:

  • service charge(s) covering any communal services
  • service charge(s) for heating and water provided by communal systems
  • Council tax (some supported housing schemes only).

Rents and service charges are reviewed annually. If your rent changes, you will receive at least one month’s notice before the new amount comes into effect.

The Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016 requires housing associations to reduce rents by 1% from 2015, for a four year period. Accommodation this reduction does not apply to includes:

  • Low cost home ownership or shared owners (where the formula in the lease is  applied);
  • Intermediate rent or Rent to Home Buy properties;
  • Temporary accommodation and refuges.

For further information on rent charges for 2017/18, please click here.

Service charges

Service charges are calculated for the services your home receives and are charged along with  your rent. Service charges are adjusted annually to reflect the costs of the services during the previous year plus inflation or contractor quotes for the works/services.

Struggling with rent payments?

You should ensure your rent and charges are paid in line with your tenancy agreement or lease. If you are having trouble doing this, please contact us straight away as we may be able to help offer you support.

Details of how you  can make a rent/service charge  payment here.

Below are the details of some agencies that may be able to help you with debt or benefit advice, but other services are available.

Money Advice Service 
0300 500 5000

Step Change
0800 138 1111

National Debtline
0808 808 4000
Citizens Advice

To check whether you are eligible for any other benefits, please visit the ‘Entitled to’ calculator here.