Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

UCUniversal Credit is now live across large areas of the country including Wiltshire, Swindon, Gloucestershire, and Oxfordshire. It is a new benefit that is replacing six working age benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You will need to make a claim for Universal Credit online, and the benefit you get will be paid monthly to a bank account to one member of your household. This payment will include payments for your rent, so you will need to think about what method you are going to use to pay your rent.

Universal Credit and working

Universal Credit will be paid to households both in and out of work, and the amount that you can keep in earnings before your Universal Credit begins to reduce is significantly higher than with the current benefits.

When it is happening?

Some groups of single people in all our areas are now able to claim Universal Credit. We don’t have a timetable yet for how the rollout will be expanded, but it is likely that couples will be the next group able to make a new claim. If you are on an existing benefit, you will be contacted to let youu know what you need to do - but this process may take until 2019.

Universal Credit will be assessed and paid by Department for Work and Pension Service centres. You can call the service centre on 0345 600 0723. Your will still need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction if you qualify from you local council.

What about the benefits not being included in Universal Credit?

Contributory benefits and most disablement and carers benefits are remaining, and will not be affected, neither will Child Benefit.

You can find out more about Universal Credit here: